Saturday 3 November 2007

Stardust

Me Naomi and Natalie went to see Stardust last night, I've not read the novel by Neil Gaiman, but after seeing the film adaptation I'll definitely be adding it to my Christmas list.

A typical children's fantasy story but adult enough to be suitable for most ages. Throughout the film a few characters are killed (Mostly by assassination... you'll have to watch it... i don't want to spoil it), but blood is never shown and in the one instance it's necessary it's shown as a vivid blue (Being a prince he has blue blood), which i think is a nice touch to make this more accessible to younger viewers.

The storyline is touching... at the start you dislike the lead character for his somewhat spineless groveling to his "beloved"... but by the end you love him for his character growth. It pulls at the heart strings.

That as side you have to watch it for De Niros performance... whoever cast him was a pure genius. I'm glad he accepted the role as it's a wild detraction from his usual roles.

In the trailers before the film we saw the trailer for "The Golden Compass", based on a series of novels called "His Dark Materials" by Philip Pullman. I'm planning on reading the book before i see the film (Naomi's kindly lent it to me), hopefully they'll release all 3 as separate films, as I've not seen a good trilogy since LotR.

No comments: