Saturday 10 November 2007

Fireworks Display AKA WMD




My dads flying club is next door toy a gun club, so the ability to come by some rather "large" fireworks is quite easy this time of year. With enough rockets to start a small war, and some boxes that looked like bunker busters. So a good show was expected by all.
Unfortunately the wind was a little against us, but we managed to compensate... not before nearly shelling some of our neighbours. Hopefully no lean too was broken :-)
When my dad set off the second (But not the largest) boxed firework a gust of wind combined with a rocket firing knocked it over, this sent one of the rockets between me and Naomi (We were totally oblivious as we were looking up at the other fireworks) which exploded on the windowsill. If it'd been just 6 left or right it would have hit one of us, 6" higher and it would've gone through the kitchen window. Luckily it righted itself on the next shot.
The final and largest firework naturally we pegged into the ground.
Afterwards we all stuck around and played a good few rounds of poker... it was good as we had a couple of learners at the table. I so need to resurrect poker night, it was always a really good laugh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was a bit hairy I must admit, the true meaning of the phrase "a close shave". I'm very pleased with my pictures though. It did mean that I didn't get to look at many of the fireworks aside from through the lens but I think it was worth it!

xxx