Monday 19 November 2007

Beowulf

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0442933/

Sadly I've not read the epic poem Beowulf... but it's on my list of things to do (That list is getting too big now!). Me and Nomi went to see the new film adaptation it at the local cinema.


Now I'm a fan for pushing the envelope of cinematography and also animation (Both cell and CGI), but it just didn't seem to sit right in a fantasy story. Now I know they spent a lot of money on LotR, but I'm sure that it would have been cheaper to use CG monstas (More on that later) and "live" action instead of all CG... the reason is that throughout the film the consistency of the quality left a lot to be desired. One minute the CG was perfect, the next... like a dodgy version of Shrek. Sebastian Roché who played Wulfgar ended up looking like the godfather at one point where they cheapened up on the rendering of his mouth.


It just seems a little unnecessary... like it was made in CG because it could... not because it was needed.


The bit that stuck out a mile was Ray Winstone portrayal of Beowulf, now for the uninitiated Beowulf is a Geat which is now modern day Sweden, hence he would have something close to a Swedish accent... instead he has a distinctly cockney accent, see the clip below:




It's most apparent when he tells the guard "I am Beowulf, and I'm here to will your monster". Or rather with the accent... "I am Beowufd and I'm 'ere to kiwl yaw monsta".

This all being said the film was actually really good. And I would recommend going to see it if your a fan of fantasy films. Especially as Beowulf influenced Tolkins Lord of the Rings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Get outta my pub"!! They should have put that in there, I would have been so happy.

Such a pity because it could have been great if it was live action.