Thursday 8 May 2008

Iron Man



We all finally watched Iron Man at the cinema in Great Yarmouth. I'll start off by saying it was a really cool cinema...





Old world charm mixed with a good screen and sound system. The corridor that led to the screen was decorated in movie memorabilia... Including a Dalek.



Anyway enough about the cinema onto the film... Excellent is all I can use to sum it up :-) I'm far from knowledgeable on the Iron Man franchise but the film included several of the story's arcs... But unlike other comic book to film adaptations the film doesn't assume you already know the characters and back story so gives you a gentle run up to how Tony Stark becomes Iron Man.

Robert Downey Jr plays Tony Stark superbly displaying all the playboy exuberance and inner angst down to a tee. One thing that did strike me about this film is the suspense of disbelief that I experienced... Being an engineer I usually tear films like this apart, but for some reason I just sat there in awe of the pretty red and gold costume :-) and pretty it is... SFX wise the film can't be faulted... At no point did I go eww CGI, doubtlessly there was loads but it merged in seamlessly.

If I had to complain it would be that Tony Starks alcoholism wasn't mentioned... Other than having a whiskey go his hand all the time. It could've been used to "darken the mood" in some places. But to be honest that's me finding something to complain about... Because all in all I loved it :-)

No comments: