Wednesday 2 May 2007

Jay's Garage




As I've said before, because I'm an engineer most people think I'm a mechanic also. My Mum and sister both turn to me and my dad whenever anything mechanical or electrical breaks and needs repairing, with my dad spending the majority of his time in Lowerstoft this means that whenever they have problems they turn to me.

This isn't a bad thing... actually I enjoy being able to help people, especially my friends and family.

My sister Louise came to me the other day with a particularly difficult problem. Her electric window in the car wouldn't close. Lou's not know for her good timing and it was urgent that I fix it... as she was off to wales the following day.
Anyways... after struggling to remove the door panel I had to remove the foam soundproof inner sheet... why on earth it's glued to the door skin everywhere i don't know... we managed to get it off with a few small rips (Oops sorry wib). Once it was off I managed to get to the mechanism... (See 1st photo), now this is where i realised (At 8:30 in the eve) that it wasn't gonna be a quick job as the glass carrier mechanism had snapped in such a way that the window would only go down rather than up (The mechanism has a wire with a solid slug attached that moves the glass up and down, the top restraint had sheared off). Unable to fix it without spending all night on it (Lou wanted to get home too) I sent Louise into the bushes with a hacksaw to get a branch to prop it up. This I wedged into the door (See 2nd photo), sadly it was too short, so as a shim I used her copy of Now Magazine (See 3rd photo). Happy that it'd hold until she could get to a proper garage I put it all back together.
I bet whoever fixes it will die of laughter when they see my "bodge-it-and-scarper" engineering :-)

No comments: