Thursday 17 May 2007

HUGE Forklifts

My first company outing... pretty successfully if I do say so myself. Me the MD, one of my designers (Oooh I like saying that :-) ) and one of the production estimators went all the way to Wales to see a potential customer, It was a really long journey (We left at 4:30 and arrived at about 9:30) .

I knew what the project was about and already laid out a presentation, but I hadn't really given it much thought as to scale (When you look at a design on a screen it's easy to lose all concept of scale) so when I actually saw what it was we were helping make I was shocked... my mental picture of a fork lift is a little gas powered forklift loading pallets in Wickes. These made those look like toys.

These forklifts are designed to lift the containers in docks and stack them 7 high! It weighs 45 Tons. If you can't grasp the scale from the picture look behind the cab, the white bit sticking out the top is in fact a lamp post! Suffice to say my natural manly urge to like big shiny things kicked in.

The presentation went really well, and hopefully we'll be seeing a lot more of this customer, there's lots we can do for them and it'd be a really productive opportunity for both companies.

No comments: