Thursday 3 May 2007

"If life was easy it'd be boring"

I've had a difficult decision to make lately... My current job is fine, although the travel is long I actually look forward to it in a weird way... it's a chance to relax and unwind, read or play on my DS/PSP so unlike driving it's not "dead time" to me. However I'd much rather be at home relaxing than on a commuter train. As a result I've been looking for employment elsewhere.

Since I was made redundant back in November last year I have had on and off contact with a company that was offering me a Management position, namely manager of a Design Office. Now I've been pursuing this for some time and mostly thought it would never come to fruition so I looked elsewhere also. I landed an interview with a large multinational company last week and they offered me a position comparable to the one I have now (Just without the commute). Ordinarily I'd accept this offer under the merit of the company alone (One I know and respect)... however, I'm now being offered the management position I'd thought was all but lost to me.

OH DILEMA!

To choose a job of power with a company I know has experienced trouble (To the point of being part of a management buy out), or to choose a mundane job for a company built like a rock?

Unsurprisingly I've been tearing my hair out trying to decide what to do.

I bit the bullet yesterday and accepted the management position, because although I worry about the stability of the company I know I'd never live with myself not knowing what might have been.

I've used it for a while now and it is even more poignant today, and that is my motto:

"If life was easy it'd be boring"

No comments: