Wednesday 11 April 2007

Job Satisfaction

I'm an engineering designer and as such in my career I've designed many things from weapons to aircraft to oil rigs and now connectors... Yeah I know it seems to have gone down hill in terms of coolness hasn't it? Ironicly it has instead gone up in salary... now this is mainly due to my experience, but also because boring jobs are paid more I suppose. The age old adage You either work for the Money or for the Love of the Job applies in this case, and I'd say without reservation it's for the money. Especially these days. Not that I hate my job, it just doesn't get my pulse racing. Everyone has jobs they'd like to do, and I'd like to hope that most people attain them. Others have downright fanciful aspirations to being airline pilots or investment bankers when quite frankly they can't fly a paper airplane or balance their own finances. Me... I do what I love doing (Of a sorts), being creative, working out engineering problems and so on. Yet somehow I still remain un-fullfiled. I guess if I could describe my ideal job it'd be one where I design something, then go make it, then test it and sell it... I surpose "Inventor" would be the best way to describe that. I know I'd not be able to do that, as although I have a sharp creative mind I doubt I'd be able to make anything marketable... I'd need a eureka moment like James Dyson and his vacuum cleaners to make that fantasy work. Another alternative is my love of model making and pyrotechnics (My thanks to the MOD for that one!). I'd love to combine both my hobies and my work to be a SFX model maker like Stan Winston (SFX works on Termiator and Aliens to name but a few), but this is virtually impossibe as it's almost like becoming an actor... you need to know somebody in "the know" to get anywhere in a buisness like that... So here's a big shout out to my sis, when you're famous remember me... I'll gladly give the SFX work on your next blockbuster film a try and I'll do it for the love of it rather than the money :-)

No comments: