Sunday 20 January 2008

Sweeny Todd

For those of you that haven't seen Sweeny Todd yet... it's a musical... now before all the men flatly refuse to see it, remember it's not "High School Musical" or "Grease" (Which strangely I love... must be because I find it funny), but a gritty tale of the revenge of a man falsely exiled and stripped of all the things he once loved. Interested now hmm?

Sweeney Todd is played by Johnny Depp who for years now has been playing exceptional roles as quirky characters (With the possible exception of his roll as Willy Wonka in the 2005 version of "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory", but that was more a dislike of the film rather than his acting). And as usual he manages to capture the maddening torment that Sweeny Todd has suffered convincingly. Always slightly comic (Like a Jim Carrey on a heavy dose of prozac), but not enough to push him over the edge of realism, just enough for you to chuckle "he's mad he is".


Anyway enough of the Depp appreciation society.

Mrs. Lovett self confessed purveyor of the "Worst Pies in London" (See bellow) is played by Helena Bonham Carter who personally I like, as she (At least in the films I can remember her being in) always does good eccentric characters. Throughout this film she was pregnant and you've got to hand it to her, she didn't let it slow her down.

Neither of them have come from musical backgrounds. Which makes this film all the more impressive. Does anyone else think Johnny Depps singing sounds like David Bowie?

The part of Toby (Sweeny's somewhat accidental apprentice) is played by Ed Sanders, who I could have sworn I recognised from elsewhere but apparently this is his first credited part in a film.

Anyway I seem to be ranting too much about the actors... on to the film:

The film is excellent, portrayed in a dark and grimy London, where the majority of colour is either grey or brown. It's made to look Gothic and bleak (A reflection of the feelings of Sweeny), the only real colour in the film is the red of blood and the dresses Johanna (Sweenys estranged Daughter) wears.

The plot is dark and moody, following the last moments of Sweenys colapse into maniacal revenge. As is customary with most films today a love story is thrown in between Johanna and Anthony Hope (Sweenys companion on the ship to England), however it serves little purpose and is rather thinly followed, as it is only a mechanism for Sweeny to get his revenge upon Judge Turpin, this didn't spoil the film for me (As it does in many others), but it did leave me a little frustrated about the lack of development on those two characters.

All in all an excellent film, and the musical score is fantastic. I'd highly recommend to anyone that considers musicals "girly" to give this film a try.

Another point to be made about the film is that a scene cut from the film (For reasons unknown to me) was to include of the spirits of Sweeney Todd's victims (including actors Anthony Head and Christopher Lee). I think this was a real shame as Christopher Lee is a fantastic Opera singer (I had the good fortune to hear him at the MCM Expo last year).

I'll leave you with my favourite song (At least for Helena Bonham Carters accent):

MRS. LOVETT:
(spoken) A customer!

Wait!
What's your rush?
What's your hurry?
You gave me such a --
Fright, I thought you was a ghost!
Half a minute, can'tcher sit!
Sit you down, sit!
All I meant is that I haven't seen a customer for weeks!
Did you come here for a pie, sir?
Do forgive me if me head's a little vague --
Ugh! What is that?
But you think we had the plague!
From the way that people
Keep avoiding --
No you don't!
Heaven knows I try, sir!
Ick!
But there's no one comes in even to inhale!
Right you are, sir, would you like a drop of ale?
Mind you, I can't hardly blame them!
These are probably the worst pies in London!
I know why nobody cares to take them,
I should know,
I make them,
But good? No!
The worst pies in London,
Even that's polite!
The worst pies in London,
If you doubt it, take a bite!
Is that just disgusting?
You have to concede it!
It's nothing but crusting!
Here, drink this, you'll need it!
The worst pies in London...
And no wonder with the price of meat
What it is
When you get it
Never
Thought I'd live to see the day
Men'd think it was a treat
Findin' poor
Animals
Wot are dyin' in the street!
Mrs. Mooney has a pie shop!
Does a business but I notice something weird.
Lately all her neighbors' cats have disappeared!
Have to hand it to her --
Wot I calls
Enterprise
Poppin' pussies into pies!
Wouldn't do in my shop!
Just the thought of it's enough to make you sick!
And I'm tellin' you, them pussycats is quick!
No denying times is hard, sir
Even harder
than the worst pies in London!
Only lard and nothing more --
Is that just revolting,
All greasy and gritty?
It looks like it's molting,
And tastes like,
Well, pity
A woman alone,
With limited wind,
And the worst pies in London!
Ah, sir, times is hard,
Times is hard!

Lyrics courtesy of http://www.allmusicals.com/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really thought extremely highly of this film, everything about it was great; it is easy to excuse the thinly developed characterisation of Johanna and Anthony as this is just how musicals are for the most part. Think of Spamalot, it deliberately takes the piss out of the fact that there is always a wedding at the end of a musical... of course there are exceptions to this and Sweeny Todd is one of them, but it still maintains the genre's necessity to have a concurrent love story aside the main throughline of the plot. I thought it was sweet and it did serve a purpose in that Sweeny established where Johanna was and gave him a means to get her back. The act of nearly killing his own daughter (impossible without Anthony's input) highlighted his descent into pure unadulterated bloodlust rather than the justifiable quest for revenge with which the film began.

The music was perfectly orchestrated to be typically 'Burtonesque', a slight surprise as it was not an Elfman score but Sondheim who is known for his musical scores rather than instrumental work. It held the show together, adding to the atmosphere created by the visual style and actors performances to create something really special. It is not a 'girly' musical as you say, but rather a gritty tale in which the music and song is so integral to the film that you forget the characters are singing. Almost the entire film is sung rendering this act as usual as speaking in a standard thriller.

I don't aggree with your comment about Willy Wonka but then that is just a difference in opinion! I thought that film was masterful with the changes made to Roald Dahl's original book only serving to add to the eerie, sinister content of the story. The only thing which bugged me about it was that the money Charlie found in the street was USDollars rather than Stirling... frustrating and uneccessary given that it was set in England, with mainly English Actors or at least accents. Silly thing to be annoied about really! Johnny Depp's singing is 'real', rough and expressive, lending an additional element of depth to Todd's character.

Helena Bonham Carter on the other hand I have been known to dislike, but in this case she is brilliant. Her voice is airy but fits the character perfectly and her characterisation superb.

In fact everyone in the film is incredible, expcially as you say the young boy (whose name escapes me for a minute), he was fantastic with a strong voice and the ability to look and act like a rouge whilst still being adorable.

I've been rambling again... I will stop now but everyone should see this I will be shocked if I am more impressed with a film this year and it is only February!

xxx

Anonymous said...

I forgot to say that you shouldn't worry about being king of the Johnny Depp fanclub... everyone is gay for Johnny Depp. I won't hold it against you... unless you want me to ;)

xxx