Wednesday 16 January 2008

St. Trinian's

Sadly I can't really remember the original St. Trinian's films, but I do remember them being a Beano-esk style of humour much akin to a children's version on the Carry on Films.


The remake thankfully lives up to this... I walked into the cinema expecting it to be dire with the odd funny moment, but was thankfully pleasantly surprised.


The cast list contains a few well known actors, such as:
  • Colin Firth Again playing a Mr Darcy clone, but funny in a typecast way
  • Rupert Everett Hilarious as a Female character and cunningly playing her brother too
  • Russell Brand A strange casting, but his charisma shows through as a "Del Boy" type character
  • Stephen Fry Superb as the quiz master of a pseudo University Challenge
But the majority of the characters (IE The girls of St Trinians) were played by unknown or upcoming actresses, the only notable exception is Kathryn Drysdale, better known from "Two Pints of Lager (And a Packet of Crisps)". It's quite disturbing seeing her dressed up as a ~16 y/o schoolgirl given she's about the same age as me (General consensus on the web says 25-30).


The casting was at 2 ends of the scale, the girls were either extremely young (Such as the 2 mischievous twins around 10 y/o) or approaching 30. I imagine the casting of older women in the 6th former roles was to allow for a more raunchier portrayal without the paedophile vigilantes rearing their heads.

Visually the film required little or no CGI effects, only traditional pyrotechnics for a couple of scenes which were well put together the only quibble I'd have is that the C4 explosives they used would not have been placed like that, but that's only because I understand how explosives work, to the common cinema goer it's just me being nit picky. And that's it i really can only be nit picky about a film that is funny tongue in cheek comedy at its best. I'll leave you with a classic quote from the film:

Daddy, you can't expect me to stay here. It's like Hogwarts for Pikeys!

- Annabelle Fritton

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I went in to this with a little teeny bit of a grump on because I wanted to see Enchanted and I thought it was going to be pants... I couldn't have been more wrong. It was hilarious, a contemporary story in keeping with it's older influences. What fantastic casting... 'old' teenagers aside the adult roles were supurb, I feel very sorry for Colin Firth and his inability to ever get away from Mr Darcy (although I understand why it has happened!) and even Russel Brand aka Supreme Cock-Face of the Wanker faction was great. Yep, loved it and I can't wait to see it again.

"you're only s'posed to blow the bloody doors off!"

xxx