Friday 23 October 2009

Not The Messiah



Me and Nomi went to see "Not the Messiah" at the Royal Albert Hall as a early Christmas present. I should really read up more on what I plan on going to see... as it was a total surprise to me that it was an oratorio and not a play. Not that I was disappointed, far from it I was really excited, I've seen plays, and musicals before. But never seen an Opera before... yes I know the difference, this wasn't an Opera, but it's close enough for an uncultured swine like me ;-)

During the opening few scenes I had quite a difficulty discerning the storyline from the "music" (The reason I say "music" is because I tend to let everything... instruments and vocals merge into one.... which is why I like foreign music, despite the fact I can't understand what they're saying... the singing is like another musical instrument to me). Thankfully Nomi pointed out that the program contained the words as well... so I spent the rest of the performance with my own personal subtitles :-)

After the show I just was elated... I'd seen Monty Python live... not actors playing parts, but some of the actual Pythons themselves. It was a shame that John Cleese didn't make a guest appearance given it was the 40th anniversary. I only hope they make a 50th anniversary performance now... I can't wait until then :-)

Edited 28/11/09

And of course not to forget the unexpected encore of the "Lumberjack" song performed by Michael Palin. I think Nomi would have quite happily died at that moment :-)

No comments: