Tuesday 3 February 2009

Computer Cooling

Recently I built a computer solely for storing my masses of media on to playback through my PS3. It was scavenged from bits and kind of did the job, except it was far too hot... like surface of the sun hot! 70degC at times!



As you can see from the photo it's rather cramped, and has really bad airflow.

So I invested in a Antec 900 case as it has room for all 9 of the hard drives with 3 x 120mm fans blowing directly over them.





Before I shoved it all in... and after:



The advantage with this design is the PSU is mounted on the bottom so doesn't get heated by all the processor etc, the cages for the hard drives have 120mm fans that blow directly over them and then get sucked out the top and rear fans. It's so cool I don't even need a CPU Fan now :-) And it runs at a nice 35degC. What a change a decent case makes :-)

No comments: