Saturday 3 January 2009

Upgrading a PS3s Hard Drive...

... Is not as easy as it seems!

All was going well... I backed u[ the HDD on a new portable drive I purchased just for the job. Then come the trauma of fiddling with such an expensive piece of equipment. I fiddle about with computers all the time, but this is different, If I break something I can't just go down Maplins and get a replacement part!

I was warned that the screws that hold the drive in place were "soft and over torqued" little did I know that it must've been done with an air spanner! Crikey... I stripped the head off of three of them trying to get them undone.

Try as I might I couldn't get them off. So I decided to use a Dremel with a cutting disc to slit a groove into each screw and undo them with a large flat blade screwdriver. Thankfully this worked brilliantly :) tho taking a cutting disc so close to a hard drive made me very nervous!

I've now replaced the screws with propper computer case screws that are a lot tougher... Not that I'll be trying this again anytime soon!

Restoring the backup was a piece of cake, and now I'm sporting plenty of HDD space :-)

For those of you that are brave enough to copy me you can find a useful how to here and another here. If you need to back up loads of data, you'll need a USB HDD, but it's not as easy as just plug it in and go... fol ow the guide here to see what you need to do, an essential piece of software you'll need is a FAT 32 Formatter for large HDDs. And a dremel if those screws were made from blue tac like mine :-)

No comments: