Saturday 20 December 2008

That's Not a Heatsink... Now That's a Heatsink

On the right is a factory standard Socket 478 Heatsink... On the left is my new Heatsink :) as tall as my PC case is wide... And 150mm square this is one hell of a Heatsink. It's the second I've installed. Naomi wanted her PC to be quiet so installed one of these (without its fan), and removed all the case fans, leaving only the integral temp controlled PSU fan. Boy does it run quiet. It's difficult to tell it's on if the monitor is off! So when it came to me building what is essentially a NAS with bittorrent and media server capabilities, I knew it'd get very hot and a standard heat sink just wouldn't cut it. I tried it out with the standard heatsink... And it wouldn't even last 10 mins at full load before the thermal cutout kicked in. With the new heatsink however it's been running for several days now, and although hot it's way below the thermal cutout temp. So I'm happy. Next I'm going to install a blower into the expansion slots to improve airflow... Hopefully that'll bring the overall temp down a bit. Annoying thing is the case has no mounts for front fans... So I may have to make some if the HDD's still remain hot.

No comments: