Wednesday 23 April 2008

Flame Wars

Anyone who's ever been on a forum will know what a "Flame War" is, for those that have never heard the term take a look at the Wikipedia, if you've still never experienced it you're very lucky.


Flaming is precisely the reason I don't post on forums... they mainly consist of a core "elite" of posters that spend all their time provoking others into conflict... I mean seriously what's the point? If you don't like the article don't comment or better still don't read. This particular entry on the register sums it all up really:



Specifically, we are still getting people banging on and on and on and on
and on about the lack of IT angle in some stories, repeatedly demanding "What is
this doing on The Register?" and indeed intoning the tired old mantra of "I personally am not interested in reading this kind of material, so don't publish any more or I will remove you from my bookmarks - permanently".

However,
and before you start imagining this is about to turn into a broadside against
these whiners, please note that we're not entirely unsympathetic. I for one am
not much interested in football. To my dismay, I recently opened a copy of a
well-known UK broadsheet to find it had dedicated several pages to this sport
and which otherwise might have been put over to subjects more to my liking.


Cue a (very polite, I hasten to add) email to the editor of the organ in question, suggesting he in future can coverage of The Champions League and carry
instead more Paris Hilton nipslip exclusives, and so forth. He quickly replied:
"I'm sorry to hear you don't like our football coverage, but might I suggest that you therefore in future stay out of the bit of the paper headed 'Football'? Now please go away or I will call the police." Well, despite the abrasive tone of his conclusion, it's hard to question the advice. And so it is in that spirit that we pass our own advice on to you - when browsing the Reg, the section you
want to avoid is
Bootnotes, above all on a Friday. Thank you. ®

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/11/bootnotes_advice/

I mean why? Why spend your spare time posting inane digs at reviewers/journalists?

But then without it where would we get our regular dose of laughter from reading some guys rant about the PSP being better than the DS, or the Wii being better than the PS3? I guess it just serves to remind us that everyone has a soap box to climb on... and on that note I'll climb down off mine :-)

No comments: