Wednesday 26 September 2007

The White Van Man (Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde )

It seems like far too often I'm moving my stuff around lately, I've hired a van 3 times in the last year to move. Ho hum, that's life I suppose.

The people that drive vans all the time have probably gotten used to it, but to me every time I drive a van it's like I've suddenly become some huge behemoth of the road, dwarfing normal road users. I now understand the white van man, high up in his cab surrounded by a massive sheet of glass looking down upon the ant like road users in their cars, people move out the way, not thru courtesy (Which is rare amongst road users) , but thru fear of being crushed by a white van... made all the more dangerous by the simple words "Hire Van"... highlighting it's not just a white van with a man on an ego trip... it's a man on an ego trip with a new toy :-)

It's funny it's like the van has a mind of it's own, and on motorways it must insist on bearing down on some Nissan Micra doing 60 in the middle lane like some cheetah chasing its prey, until eventually they realise they're being a twat sitting in the middle lane of an empty motorway, highlighted all the more by headlights shining right thru their car from a van mere inches away.

Not like I drive like this... no... that's my alter ego the white van man, I'm just a puppet until I get my car back... like Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde :-)

No comments: